Tuesday, July 15, 2008

SUB POP FEST (DAY 1) PLUS KING KHAN & THE SHRINES

SUB POP FEST : DAY 1 (THE ONLY DAY I WENT)
Ok, missed constantines (who I heard were great) and eric’s trip (who I would’ve like to see) but of who I DID see:

HELIO SEQUENCE- caught half of their set….sounded great. their latest record is the first one I have liked by them.

PISSED JEANS- positively awesome…..a chaotic grunt of non-stop noise and hilarity. The set ending where the singer took all of the sweaty towels out of his pants and squeezed the juices into his mouth was pure genius (ok, and disturbing too). About mid-set the singer said “ummm…..how much of this stuff do you really wanna hear?”

FLEET FOXES- sub pop‘s new big thing band (like band of horses a few years ago). sounded awesome with killer, sweet harmonies (by why wear flannel shirts and jeans on a 95 degree day?) and the songs from the record sounded even better live.

THE FLUID- denver’s finest came out of their cave. I had not even thought of these guys in well over a decade…..they rocked but I didn’t remember any of their songs from the old days.

LOW- loved their first 2 records from the early 90’s but have barely listened to them since. Live they didn’t do much for me.

MUDHONEY- they still got it! they basically did a greatest hits set (including a set ending cover of the dick’s “hate the police”). New (well, not really new) bassist guy maddison looked like he was having a blast and I have to say, mark arm still has the coolest voice in rock.

THE VASELINES- yes, finally a gig in America ! they had Stevie Jackson on lead guitar (and I think it was belle and sebastian’s bassist, bobby kildea, on bass) and they played all of the hits: “jesus wants me for a sunbeam”, “rory rides me raw”, “molly’s lips”, “the day I was a horse”, etc. etc). frances was hilarious while eugene’s droll sense of humor made them a perfect match.
…and then later on in Portland

KING KHAN & THE SHRINES- Ok, I then high-tailed it back to Portland to catch king khan and the shrines at dantes. they had broken down in Eugene but made it to the gig shortly after midnight and proceeded to play one of the best live sets I have ever seen. Imagine the best garage band ever mixed with bits of the blues brothers and the hip-shakin’ soul of the james brown band (3 piece horn section!) and you’re in the ballpark. They even had a pom pom girl on stage with them and some nifty dance routines . next time they come to town do not miss!

No comments: